Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Slacker (Richard Linklater, 1990)



This is the ultimate Generation X movie. Slacker is a collection, that's for sure. A collection of trivial and yet not so trivial moments from the lives of many young people, who are living their lives and are having, for sure, something that goes beyond the word interesting to their character. If you think about the movie, you will definitely say, this must be terribly boring. But truth says that Slacker is a myth, not simply a movie. If you want to feel the blood running through your veins, hot and juicy, then this is the movie for you. If you want to be taken to a place where there is only fantasy and pure day-to-day imagination, then this is the film for you. Slacker takes your opinion about people and existence in general and transforms it. It makes it look new, polished and shinny again. You will love people with that movie that's for sure. You will love their idiosyncrasies, their attitude, their karma, their energy, you will love the corn of the human race. And beyond that you will feel young again. It doesn't matter how young you are, you will feel younger. You will feel that the world is out there for you, waiting to be explored and experienced. Slacker is an experimental movie, a movie that doesn't go by the book, a movie that calls for your emotion, for that thing that shines in you and has no name, for the thing that makes you who you are, you and you alone. Slacker is a touching movie, a movie that touches your inner self like with the touch of a feather. There is no doubt that this is a movie that follows me everywhere I go. This is a movie that I have in my heart, this is a movie that helps my soul endure the shit of this world. It's not an exaggeration to say that I loved people all the way from the beginning again with this film. I loved my generation, I loved their potential, I loved their energy, I loved their awkwardness, I loved the fact that  while watching the movie, I had the feeling that I was surrounded by all these beautiful and wonderful slackers, that seem to make my life more real, more vivid, more liveable. Slacker is a movie that will work as a reference for future generations, will work as a waking up call to go out there and live, go out there and communicate, go out there and find all those amazing slackers and make them your friends. Because the slackers of this world, are the most important and crucial characters that we have in our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment