Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Sleepy Hollow (Tim Burton, 1999)


 
There are times where I want to write so many things about a movie and I end up writing so few. Maybe I censor myself, maybe those things that I wanted to write were not that good finally, maybe both at the same time. Writing and reviewing art has something deeply parasitical inside of it. You really wonder sometimes why the hell does my opinion matters when there is nothing more than another opinion? People who read the shit I write know very well that I have a dirty mouth and that I don't hide behind a "nice" facade. For me the number one influence in my writings is the American author and journalist Hunter S. Thompson. A man who never hid behind something gentle and polite. For me the voice must be ferocious and fierce, otherwise there is no point in writing really.
 But there are some films and some directors who make me feel like I am going home finally. Sleepy Hollow and Tim Burton have that quality for me. And you know I could argue and argue about how worthy the film is, but I will only say this. It's one of the films that I return from time to time to find myself again. And I am not sure why that happens. Maybe are the characteristics of Johnny Depp's character. You know that logical human being on the outside and a tormented, emotional character on the inside. Whatever the reason might be, Sleepy Hollow is an exceptionally well crafted film, with impeccable atmosphere and a highly intriguing murder mystery. You see there are times that is best to leave everything else to the eyes of the spectator and not bug him with extra information about the movie. The more clueless you are when you first watch that film, the bigger the satisfaction is. Enjoy your ride!     

No comments:

Post a Comment