Wednesday, July 24, 2024

The Prestige (Christopher Nolan, 2006)


 
As much as Christopher Nolan has disappointed me with his last three films, I can't forget that he used to make really wonderful, exceptional films. The Prestige is a bewitching movie, a movie that speaks the magical language of pure cinematic finesse. And it's not only the actual story of the movie that grabs you so tight that you can't escape from any direction, but also the flavor and the details of the movie, that incredible atmosphere, darkly and mysterious, that goes together, perfectly, with the rest of the story. You see that story of ruthless antagonism between two magicians in the hands of a less talented creator would be an interesting movie, but it wouldn't have that extra thing, that exquisite taste that the film has. Because no matter how much I want to concentrate on the story, my mind, instinctively, goes to the magic of the movie. Those absolutely fabulous moments inside the film where you are sure that you are watching a fantasy movie, a movie that came out of a fairy tale. And that I think is Prestige's biggest charm.
I watched it for the first time in Berlin and I was taken so much by it that I wanted to watch it a second time. I watched some years after when I was back in Athens and I couldn't believe how irresistible that movie is. Every time that I watch the poster I think of the details of that movie and I get seriously high. I get so high that I want to watch it again. Maybe not the whole movie, but some parts of it, I want to simply devour them. And when a movie lives so vividly inside you for so long, it means that is a movie that is close to being infallible. And although it doesn't exist an infallible work of art, because perfection is a meaningless word, The Prestige is so close to your heart that you forget everything else and you want simply to love it and adore it once more.   

No comments:

Post a Comment