Thursday, October 17, 2024

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (Jim Sharman, 1975)


 
Rocky Horror Picture Show was one of those cult classics that I had never seen. It took me many years to finally decide to watch it. Although I was genuinely interested for the movie, there was something that was holding me back. And fact is that after I saw it, I understood my reluctance to watch it. The movie has most certainly some interesting elements and it carries a craziness that is deeply authentic, but is an exhausting movie, hands down. And the reason for being an exhausting movie are the songs. I understand a movie to be a musical, a genre that I never loved, but song after song after song gets unbelievably tedious and tiresome. A movie is more than anything a prose, a film. When you strip your movie almost completely of dialogue and you're left with a continuous parade of interesting maybe, but boring nevertheless, songs the movie is robbed of its potential charm.
And of course that is a shame because the set and the costumes are fabulous, incredibly creative and fantasizing, the performances are of high quality and the general atmosphere of the movie speaks about a real transgressive story. If that movie was a normal comedy horror movie and not musical or maybe a musical but with half the songs it would have been a brilliant film. I understand deeply the need to make a different sarcastic musical, but you must think of the audience also, because they suffer with this movie and its endless singing. There are so many songs in that film that near the end I wasn't even paying real attention to the film anymore. I was so genuinely disturbed by the la la la that I wanted the film to finally end and be on my way. This obsession to the film's songs makes the movie to look dated even by musical standards. Cult movie for sure, but for people with a lot of patience I must say.  

No comments:

Post a Comment