Saturday, July 29, 2023

Wild Orchid (Zalman King, 1989)



 I can vividly remember the time when Wild Orchid opened in theaters in Greece. It was the talk of the town due to its erotic scenes. The films was heavily panned by critics, but me, although I was ten years old, I was extremely interested on the movie. Finally I saw Wild Orchid now that I am 44. I don't know how I skipped that movie, but it happened. Now it's true that when you are waiting for a horrible movie, the thing that you finally get is always something less awful. If you are prepared for the worst, everything tends to become and look better eventually. I believe that Wild Orchid is one of those guilty pleasures that you understand that there are kitsch and corny, but you love them anyhow. And now that I have said that, I can easily say that when you are dealing with art there is a big danger of becoming... "unsociable". Meaning that you can't enjoy nothing less than pure perfection. I have struggled and fought with that demon and have understood that the answer lies to the fact that you must love the one that you are ashamed to love. When you hear that voice inside of you saying that this film should be on your hate list, don't pay attention. It's your fucking ego talking, not you.
Wild Orchid is one of those movies that you love to watch during the summer. Rio de Janeiro, sweat, fear, lust, secrets, motorcycles, Mickey Rourke, Carre Otis. All these elements if you put them together you have a movie that you can feel as a strong refreshment inside the goddamn heat. There is something that doesn't have a name that draws you towards the movie. If you close your eyes you see Carre Otis with that mask and that black dress that she is about to take off. Yes folks there are moments in that cheesy film that you are feeling the steaming hot agenda of the movie. It's by all means an exotic film. And I can say, for all of you that you are going on vacation sometime, do take Wild Orchid with you and watch it on your laptop. It will make your day a little more interesting than already is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment