Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Timecode (Mike Figgis, 2000)



 Now this is a movie that I would definitely call experimental with the pure meaning of the word. Timecode is a movie that it takes place in four split screens and I can say with immense certainty that is one of the movies that drew my attention profoundly. I don't know if the actual story is that good, but I think that this is not the issue here. This environment that the movie builds, that universe, that atmosphere, are something to observe. And there is the sound that guides to which of the four screens to pay more attention. Brilliant idea I can say. Timecode is one of those deeply underappreciated movies that stay forgotten, doomed to a vile obscurity. With the banal shit that we are watching more and more, Timecode should be a film that would be on lists and talked about. But as I have said before the taste of critics and audience is by the fucking book. People like to see things that don't bother them at all. They don't care for the different, the odd, the weird, the eccentric. Well truth says that this is where art can be found. To the extraordinary. And not to the one that is similar to so many others.
Timecode is groundbreaking, fearless, ferocious and has a quality that speaks about a movie that has come to tell us something else. To tell is about the other side of the moon, the one that is not visible and clear to us. Maybe not the movie that you'll see when you want to enjoy yourself, but most certainly a movie that will give you tons of authentic cinematic allure. Figgis is a highly underrated director, mostly known for Leaving Las Vegas, hardly his best moment, who sees cinema as a canvas that you can paint whatever the fuck you like upon it. I take as my obligation to write about movies like Timecode, movies that have challenged the art of cinema by giving to the audience a totally knew taste of what can the media produce. Timecode is a film that I highly recommend, I know that some of you will hate me after you watch the movie, but I think that I will have done good to you that you watched it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment